THIS SITE IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY TELEVISION NETWORKS, TELEVISION SHOWS, OR ANY ONLINE PROJECTS OR PROMOTIONS.
THIS IS A PERSONAL PROJECT.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE ART SO FAR...

Monday, December 21, 2009

Reveal 1 - Making of "System Failure"

So it seems like a lot of people like to see the artist's process of making a poster. Below is a summary with some pictures of my process for making "System Failure".

Here are some of my thumbnails. My original concept was to do a retro style travel poster. I did these two quick sketches to get my ideas down on paper and see how the composition would work. I did the first thumbnail and had the circles at the bottom of the composition so that they wouldn't distract from the words. I also wanted to incorporate the "numbers" as a telephone number (which is where I got the idea for the clues for my first giveaway). But I thought the circles in the water area didn't really make sense and the text was kind of cheesy, so with the second sketch, I removed the words and drew the circles in the sky. This gave me the idea to make the plane break apart when the circles hit it, which led me to the glow in the dark idea.



 

After this, I brought it into the computer and started drawing the island. I worked in Red so that I could easily see all of the objects in the layer that I was working on. Once I finished a layer, I would give it a rough color. I didn't worry about exact colors at this point, I just wanted to establish highlights, midtones, and shadows. The colors were one of the last things that I decided on. However, each of these "tones" needed to be done on it's own layer to make color separations easier. Color separations are important for the screen printing process. 


Below is a view of all of the shapes that make up the island. Due to the screen-printing process, I had to make sure certain shapes weren't overlapping since this would affect the colors. The image below is still the raw drawing before I separated and cut out all of the shapes.



Once I had the island and plane drawn in, I used some brushes to paint in the water and I did a simple half-tone gradient for the sky. I still wasn't sure how much detail I wanted to do in the sky and was thinking that I'd keep it simple.



Next I put in the concentric circles. I came back to the idea of making it a travel poster and played with type, but it felt too boring and didn't invoke any emotion or feeling in me. It was also feeling way to campy and forced.



I played with ways of making the concentric circles more interesting and it was at this point that I decided to name the poster System Failure.


I really wanted the daytime image to give you a sense of awe while the glow image felt more spooky and ominous. The type was still feeling forced, so I ended up putting it in the glow ink. I thought this would be a nice surprise and it went well with the concept. The last thing I did was to add the clouds. Since I wasn't going to have type in the sky on the daytime image anymore, I wanted to use a powerful cloud image in the background to really pop the island and push that sense of awe. Once I found a cloud image I liked, my plan was to do a half-tone of it (think of how when you look a newsprint up close you can see the dots. Half-tone is an affect like that). However, my computer glitched and gave me the crazy thin line effect you see in the final image. I really liked how this looked and ended up using it. As Bob Ross would say, "it was a happy accident".



If you haven't done so already, you can check out the final print at FirstPlaneCrash.com! I'm almost sold out, so now's your chance to get one! A high resolution download of this will be available for free shortly.

Thanks to EVERYONE who's visited the site and a HUGE thanks to those that have bought prints. You have no idea how much I appreciate the kind words and the support. I personally have a few more prints in the works, but I probably won't be able to release them until early Jan. In the meantime, check back tomorrow for our first guest artist release! I also have a few more giveaways including some swag signed by Damon and Carlton themselves! You can use the RSS feed in the right hand column to stay updated. Stay tuned!

15 comments:

  1. Woah! Reading about the process makes the print even cooler. It´s amazing, really, because at first I was wondering if you had just copied/pasted a pic of the island and a pic of the plane and that was pretty much all. Now I see you did it all by yourself it makes the print even better.

    There were only 2 or 3 prints from the DCAAPB arg that made me think "I want this" first sight. Yours made me think that. No thinking or wondering, just a look at it, a look at the price, a smile, and a click on the Buy it Now button, everything within some seconds.

    Keep up the great job, man. My credit card is so gonna hate you if the next ones are half as good...

    Thanks for doing this :)

    Ps- when will these start shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. any idea how many prints total you will do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Justin, very interesting! I agree, the best rendition is the one that you chose to finish with. Especially, so as to keep it ambiguous enough in case The Mouse would come after you for being specific with their property? :-o

    This is a true WCM, the EM waves are emitted and the outcome that we know well by now, is just about to happen. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin, thanks for the 'process' and thoughts. "System Failure" takes on a deeper meaning. I am old school and new school artists and happy failures seem inevitable IMHO. I left the paying world of graphic design many years ago and your screen shots bring back good and bad memories of late nights and deadlines. Can you add a piece of the puzzle for me? Are you screens produced by a company you know of do you pull these yourself? And, if possible, any story about "tubes" and shipping would certain by arg appropriate information. lol Great job. Nice to meet you in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Roswell, I DID use reference images for the plane and island, but I don't own the images so I don't want to post them. I used the images as a jumping off point, but I had to do my own interpretation of them especially since there's such a limited color pallet.

    I plan on shipping these tomorrow. I'm just waiting on the poster tubes to get here.

    @branDRONE - I don't have a set number. I'll keep it up as long as there's interest. I have a few other artist that will release their art through this site and then I personally have 3 more pieces in the works. If the interest is still there, I'll release all 3 pieces and possibly more.

    @Capcom - yep! definately worried about the mouse so kept it ambiguous!

    @LT - I sent them to a screen printer who is sometimes used by Daniel Danger, and the others. They're respectable and known in the screenprinting community. This was my first screen print, so I had to do a LOT of research on the process as well as talk to some people about setting up the files. I ordered tubes through ULINE and they will be shipping express mail USPS. And nice to meet you too! It was so much fun hanging out with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you and the other artists release more through the site. such a great idea. now maybe we can get some moments, characters or scenes that we didn't get from dcabp.

    i'm looking forward to it! so i hope the fans keep the interest going so you keep the site going for a bit. but don't go too crazy because i dont have any room in my place for all these prints!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justin- love that you posted about your process. Being a semi-artist myself, I am all about the process! It just fascinates me. Thank you again for making such a beautiful print! Can't wait to frame it and put it up!

    alice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have an image in my head that might translate well to
    these...

    newton's cradle with the station logos
    instead of those metal balls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a mistake in my earlier comment about shipping. I guess it's priority shipping. Whichever is the 2-3 day one. Sorry.

    @Pope - sounds cool, the only thing is that logos, etc are copyrighted and personally, I don't want to use copyrighted material in my prints. Don't want to anger the mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Comix - feel free to send me some of your stuff! :) even if it's not for a print or something, I plan on doing a post about other fan art with photos, etc. (and this goes for anyone else that wants to send me stuff)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i cant wait for the new reveal already

    ReplyDelete
  12. Received my print Saturday. Looks fantastic, Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Justin - Old St. Nick arrived with a special package today. 43/60. EXCELLENT WORK. Thank you for a gorgeous piece of artwork. What's next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I was just wondering if you picked a winner for the Swan poster yet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Justin-just got the print today. Looks great!


    Hey everyone, what a crazy reveal for the Sena print, eh? I love it and there's no way I'd ever sell it. I hate when people flip these things and take advantage of true fans.... So if anybody wants it I'll trade for The Crash, Olly Moss, Jacob's Cabin and some cash! I just want to be fair!!!


    Kidding, kidding. It's very cool, Justin. Once I get a frame for it I'm looking forward to charging it up and checking out the glow in the dark elements.

    ReplyDelete